Please submit nominations for this award to Chapter Executive Director Mindy Herrmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
Julian Abele Cook, Jr. – Bernard A. Friedman FBA Civility Award
BE IT RESOLVED the Chapter will establish an annual civility award to recognize a civil practitioner who is an outstanding example of professional excellence and civility. This award will be called the Julian Abele Cook, Jr.- Bernard A. Friedman FBA Civility Award, in recognition of the dedication to civility of two outstanding jurists: former Chief Judge Julian Abele Cook, Jr., who, in 1998, constituted the first Civility Committee in the Eastern District of Michigan and fostered the implementation of the Court’s Civility Principles; and Chief Judge Bernard A. Friedman who formed the Court’s second Civility Committee in 2007, and fostered the implementation of the Eastern District’s “Lawyer’s Commitment of Professional Civility.”
The Julian Abele Cook, Jr. – Bernard A. Friedman FBA Civility Award shall be awarded yearly at the Chapter’s Annual Dinner.
In selecting an attorney to receive the award, the following criteria shall be utilized:
- The attorney has been significantly engaged in the practice of civil law;
- The attorney demonstrates the highest levels of legal competency and Professionalism;
- The attorney’s conduct is in accordance with the highest standards of professional integrity and personal courtesy as set forth in the Civility Principles of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan; [COPY APPEARS BELOW ON THIS PAGE]
- The attorney has demonstrated, while fulfilling the fundamental duty to represent clients vigorously, a mindfulness of the equally important obligation to the administration of justice, which is a truth-seeking process designed to resolve human and societal problems in a rational, peaceful and efficient manner; and
- The attorney is guided by a fundamental sense of dignity, decency, candor and fair play.
IF YOU BELIEVE AN INDIVIDUAL IS WORTHY OF CONSIDERATION, PLEASE SUBMIT THE NAME OF THE INDIVIDUAL AND A BRIEF STATEMENT AS TO THE REASONS WHY THE INDIVIDUAL SHOULD RECEIVE THE RECOGNITION. PLEASE UTILIZE THE ABOVE CRITERIA & FORWARD YOUR NOMINATION TO THE CHAPTER PRESIDENT OR TO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR.
PRIOR CIVILITY AWARD RECIPIENTS
2008 Edward M. Kronk
2009 Lawrence G. Campbell
2010 Carl H. von Ende
2011 William A. Woodard
2012 William Sankbeil
2013 Kathryn J. Humphrey
2014 Eugene Driker
2015 Saul A. Green
2016 John Runyan
2017 E. Powell Miller
2018 Thomas W. Cranmer
Lawyer’s Commitment of Professional Civility
A lawyer shall conduct him/herself in accordance with the standards of professional integrity and personal courtesy set forth in the Civility Principles of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
A lawyer shall honor and respect the Constitution of the United States, the judicial system, the legal profession and will strive to uphold the dignity of each.
A lawyer shall be guided by a fundamental sense of integrity, candor and fair play.
A lawyer shall abstain from disrespectful, disruptive and/or abusive behavior, and will at all times act with dignity, decency and courtesy.
A lawyer shall seek to resolve and not prolong legal disputes, without lessening your obligations to client interests.
A lawyer shall respect the time and commitments of others and will be diligent and punctual in communicating with others and fulfilling in your own responsibilities.
A lawyer shall exercise independent judgment and will not be guided by ill will, deceit or avarice.
As a lawyer you shall further your profession’s dedication to public service.
A lawyer shall strive to do honor to the search for truth and justice.
As a lawyer your word is your bond.