Criteria for Award
- The Barbara J. Rom Award for Bankruptcy Excellence honors individuals who have exhibited the highest level of overall excellence in the practice of bankruptcy law. The following criteria are among those considered in making this award:
- Excellence, civility, sophistication of practice, community involvement, Bar association and Court activity involvement, and pro bono participation.
- All consumer and business bankruptcy lawyers who practice within the geographical boundaries of the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Northern and Southern Divisions) are eligible to be nominated.
Timing of Nomination In 2019, the Barbara J. Rom Award will be presented at The Rakow Award/Historical Society/Barbara J. Rom Award Luncheon (a combined FBA event) on November 20, 2019. Selection Committee The selection committee consists of: 1) Chief Bankruptcy Judge Phillip Shefferly 2) Bankruptcy Judge Walter Shapero 3) District Judge Nancy Edmunds 4) Magistrate Judge Laurie Michelson 5) Leslie Berg 6) Mike Hammer 7) David Lerner 8) Ralph McDowell 9) Craig Schoenherr 10) Julie Teicher The recipient of the award will become a member of the selection committee and eventually the selection committee will consist entirely of past award winners.
- Nominations should be submitted in writing to the selection committee and/or FBA officers.
- The selection committee will send written nomination requests to the members of the Eastern District of Michigan Bankruptcy Bar and Judiciary.
- Nomination requests will be announced at all FBA events and meetings and sent via the FBA e-blast and the bankruptcy ECF system.
- Nomination requests will be published in the FBA newsletters and Detroit Legal News.
- The selection committee will maintain a list of candidates previously considered. Persons nominated in previous years may be considered in the current year even if no new nomination is received.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to nominate someone.